7th Apr 2012

First real shifts

Monday was spent at DHS with Sian and we managed to do a lot of stuff although none of the big attractions. We also managed to get in to Fantasmic which was awesome, it is the first time I have seen the show since 2008.

Tuesday was my first proper shift. I had to open Greeter, which was fine and was on greeter for the entire day. The greeter is the first person guests meet in the restaurant and this means a lot of talking and then a lot of typing to enter their details into the computer system along with any special seating or dining requests they might have. I made a few mistakes but thankfully Janet who was assigning fixed them fairly quickly. She was also training Laura to assign so I felt bad about making things more difficult for her. It was a fun day but I came home very, very tired. We went to Emily’s for Pizza in the evening which I was happy about since I do not think I could have walked anywhere.

On Wednesday I started at 4pm and for the first hour and a half I just got tasks from CDS (Cast Deployment System), these are little extra jobs that need doing like arranging strollers, sweeping the restaurant and bussing tables. This was a bit annoying but I eventually got greeter once again. I think I did a bit better but I ended the day with a sore through. It is probably partly all the talking and the ‘Commons Cold’ which everyone seems to get after being here for a few weeks. Lots of people were going to BDubz after work but I felt really horrible with my cough so I decided to give it a miss.

The rest of my arrival group had to get up at 5am to go to the Social Security Office on Thursday. Since I already have a Social Security Number I did not have to go but this meant I was working. I was opening greeter again but I was only on until 4pm. After work Sian, Emily and I came back to Epcot to watch Illuminations and we realised that MK was open until 1am so we dashed across to catch Wishes as well, the others were naturally very tired after their early start so we headed home soon after.

Friday was my first day of Chippie training. I was supposed to be trained by David Sergison by due to some call-ins he had to work as Stocker and I was trained by Melissa. She did a great job and she is not even officially a Disney trainer! I spent the day on Chippie tills which were not too difficult to get the hang of since most of my Matra (till) training from 2008 came flooding back. It is slightly different in F&B compared to Merch but most of it is the same. When we banked out at the end of the evening I was only out by $1 which was more than I would have liked but still well within what is acceptable. Craig managed 10c so that was a bit annoying!

I’m off today when nobody else seems to be, I need to get my haircut and find a stronger cough remedy to get me through the rest of the week until this stupid cold goes away again.

Enjoy this post? Click Like to share it with your Facebook Friends